Google+ Lord Byron, 1812 and All That! : Augusta Mary Leigh in Momento Mori...

Friday, 12 October 2012

Augusta Mary Leigh in Momento Mori...

In Memoriam


Augusta Mary Leigh

Born January 26 1784
Died October 12 1851

'I wonder if anyone personally laments Mrs Leigh?
A sad end to a sad life. I suppose a bad life is generally a sad one.'
Augusta Ada Lovelace

'Before my marriage when your Mother was a stranger to me - I resolved to be to her as an own-sister.
Mine is not a nature in which affection can pass away - nearly 40 years have shown this in regard to her. 
She was throughout the object of my unswerving devotedness - it was her infatuation (pardon the word) not to recognise in me her truest friend - especially as she had in one case been saved by me from taking a step that would have ended in irretrievable ruin for herself and family.'
Anne Isabella Noel Byron

'She was not to blame - one thousandth part in comparison - she was not aware of her own peril - till it was too late - and I can only account for her subsequent 'abandon' by an observation which I think is not unjust - that women are much more attached than men - if they are treated with anything like fairness or tenderness.'
Byron



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...